Top Tips for Keeping Allergies at Bay in the Spring
Seasonal allergies can produce a wide range of symptoms, including runny noses, red and itchy eyes and coughing. Taking steps to protect yourself and your family from pollutants and allergens inside your home can have real and positive effects on comfort and health. Here are some of the best strategies for people who suffer from allergies in the Oak Ridge, TN area.
Indoor Air Purifiers
The Environmental Protection Agency recommends the use of air cleaning devices to remove particulate matter and pollutants from indoor air. These air purification systems typically include UV lights to destroy bacteria and neutralize other pollutants to improve indoor air quality in your Tennessee home.
- PCO cleaners combine the power of ultraviolet radiation with a catalytic process that can destroy bacteria as well as dangerous gases. These systems do not usually provide protection against particulate matter and should be used in conjunction with a filtration system for the most comprehensive results.
- UVGI air purifiers are designed specifically to destroy biological pollutants that include bacteria, mold and viruses. These air cleaners are a good first step toward preventing allergic responses to contaminants found in indoor air.
- Ozone generators incorporate UV lights with an electrical system designed to generate ozone, which can attract particulate matter. These systems can produce other unwanted health effects, however, and may not be suited for every family.
These systems are often available as stand-alone units. Cook’s Comfort Systems offers air purification products, such as Trane’s CleanEffects, that can provide you with the right air quality systems to help every member of your family to breathe easier during the spring and summer months.
Air Filtration Systems
Filters are the most basic air purification devices and are designed to trap particulate matter before it enters your home. A study made available by the U.S. National Library of Medicine indicates that air filters and air cleaners can have a significant positive effect on patients with allergic respiratory diseases. Air filters are available in a wide range of configurations and efficiencies:
- Fiberglass filters are available at most hardware and department stores. These filters offer minimal protection against particulate matter and none at all against bacteria, viruses and gaseous pollutants.
- Pleated filters are typically constructed of polyester or other woven fibers. They are designed to provide somewhat greater protection against dust and particulates for residential use.
- High-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters offer superior protection against particulate matter and are used in hospitals, clinics and other areas in which clean air is essential. HEPA filters put additional strain on the air handlers of smaller residential or commercial HVAC systems and should only be used on systems that are rated for them.
Washable and reusable air filters may be available for some air filtration systems and could provide superior protection against particulates and dust in your indoor air. Your HVAC service provider can help you determine which air filter or filtration solution is right for your needs and your heating and cooling system.
Increasing the amount of fresh indoor air coming into your home can offer added help in combating allergies and ensuring the healthiest indoor environment for you and your family. Your heating and cooling specialists can provide you with the right recommendations for ventilation systems that work with your air purifiers and filtration systems. This can help you and your family to enjoy the healthiest indoor air quality during every season of the year in Oak Ridge, Tennessee and the surrounding areas.
The friendly and knowledgeable experts at Cook’s Comfort Systems, Inc. can provide you with the most comprehensive solutions for heating and cooling your Oak Ridge home. We offer emergency services to ensure that you and your family stay comfortable during every season of the year. To learn more about our full range of indoor air quality solutions or to schedule an appointment for repairs or maintenance, call us today at 865-248-5001. We look forward to the opportunity to work with you and your family.
You May Also Like
Are You Losing Sleep Over Your HVAC System in Loudon, TN?
A good night’s sleep is essential to your general health and overall happiness in Loudon, TN. While there are dozens of causes… Continue Reading Are You Losing Sleep Over Your HVAC System in Loudon, TN?…
How Furnace Efficiency Is Determined in Oak Ridge, TN
What percentage of your Oak Ridge, TN heating expense goes up the chimney? Most households place a high value on furnace efficiency.… Continue Reading How Furnace Efficiency Is Determined in Oak Ridge, TN…
5 Common Causes of Poor Airflow in Loudon, TN
Airflow is an essential part of any HVAC system. In Loudon, TN, where the hot and humid climate can strain HVAC systems,… Continue Reading 5 Common Causes of Poor Airflow in Loudon, TN…