The Pros and Cons of Ductless Cooling
Choosing the right cooling system for your home is a big decision during a renovation or construction project. Ductless air conditioning may be the best solution for cooling your Knoxville, Tennessee, home, or ducted AC may be the better option. Consider the following pros and cons of a ductless cooling system so you can decide if it’s the right system for you.
As with all HVAC products, there are several factors to think about when choosing what will work for your home. Each family and home is different and has unique requirements. Here are some positive features of a ductless cooling system that may be important to you.
- Easy Installation: Installing a ductless cooling system is much easier than a ducted system, so interruption to your daily life would be minimal. Only a small hole in a wall is needed to install the indoor wall unit and connect it to the outdoor condenser unit.
- Energy Efficient: A home with ducted AC loses 25% or more of cooled air as it travels through the ductwork. Going with ductless AC eliminates air loss, leads to better energy efficiency, and saves money.
- Zoned Cooling: With central ducted AC, you set one thermostat to a certain temperature and then the system works to cool all rooms to that temperature. The problem is uneven cooling as some rooms become too cold while others stay too warm. Single-zone ductless AC gives you both flexibility and precision as you can set the temperature in one particular space only, like a bedroom, office, or sunroom. Multi-zone ductless AC is useful if you’re looking to zone each room of your home so that every space is as comfortable as you would like.
- Heating: Many ductless cooling systems can provide heat for your home too. The heat pump operates in reverse as it delivers heat energy from the outside air to your room. Some models are limited in their heating capacity when temperatures dip too far below freezing. Our expert technicians can explain which ductless models would be the best choice for your climate and home needs. There are models that can handle both hot and cold temperatures.
There are many reasons to invest in a ductless system, but there are also some factors that may persuade you to go with a ducted system instead. Here are a few cons to consider during the decision-making process.
- Aesthetics: Some homeowners don’t like the look of a ductless air handler that is mounted on the wall, even if it’s in a neutral color and up high and out of the way. If you go with a ducted AC system everything would be hidden behind the walls. It simply depends on the look you are going for in your home. Some homeowners have reported that once installed, they hardly notice the unit and its quiet operation.
- Frequent Maintenance: Filters in a ductless unit should be washed once a month whereas ducted system filters should be changed every 2-3 months depending on your occupancy, pets, and allergies. Ductless fans won’t work when too much debris builds up, so be prepared to wash the filters if you decide to install one. The upside is that ductless does a better job of purifying the air.
There are situations in which a ductless cooling system is the best option, such as when you have a room that doesn’t cool down enough from your central air system. We also recommend ductless if you live in a space that doesn’t have enough room for ductwork, if you’ve added onto existing space, or if your space has multiple zones that need precise temperature control. Call Cook’s Comfort Systems, Inc. at 865-248-5001 today and let’s talk more about the pros and cons of ductless cooling systems.
Image provided by Shutterstock
You May Also Like
If you’re a homeowner in Loudon, TN, there’s a good chance you have a smart thermostat. Even though they’re becoming increasingly popular,… Continue Reading Get the Most Out of Your Smart Thermostat…
Some areas of your home may not stay as comfortable over the winter as the rest of the house. It’s tempting to… Continue Reading How A Ductless Mini-Split Is Better for Supplemental Heating Than Space Heaters…
Did you know that your HVAC system can greatly impact your sleep quality? If you’re not getting the rest you need, it… Continue Reading 5 Surprising Ways HVAC Can Impact Your Sleep Quality in Loudon, TN…